A pet monkey can be a wonderful companion, but they are not always easy to get. There are plenty of rules and regulations, and you can’t even legally get a pet monkey legally in most places.
So, where can you get a pet monkey? You can get a pet monkey through an animal shop, licensed breeder, or some online websites. You can adopt a monkey but you don’t get to take this monkey home. Buying a monkey is expensive and pet monkeys start at $1,500 and go up to more than $60,000 depending on the monkey’s breed, age, and sex.
There is a lot to consider before you make the decision to get a pet monkey, though, as monkeys are quite different pets from other animals such as dogs or cats. For starters, it may not be even legal to get a pet monkey where you reside.
In this article, we are going to discuss whether you can get one, how much it can cost you, and where you can get a pet monkey, of course, so keep reading.
Is it legal to have a pet monkey?
In many countries, it is not legal to have a pet monkey. In most places, they are considered wild animals and you need a special permit which will be really complicated to get. If your country allows keeping primates as pets then you can find them in zoos or even at a local animal shelter where somebody had abandoned their monkey.
Here are the three most asked-for places:
In the UK
A pet monkey may be lawfully kept in the UK, as there are no laws prohibiting private ownership of monkeys or purchasing a small monkey from pet shops. In most situations, you won’t even need a background check or a license to acquire a pet monkey in the UK.
If you want to learn where to get one and how much it will cost you, make sure to check out my guide to owning a pet monkey in the UK here.
You may not possess a pet monkey in Australia unless you are a licensed individual and only intend to keep the animal for exhibition or conservation reasons. It is unlawful to sell or keep exotic animals, such as monkeys, as pets in Australia.
To learn why and what other options you have in Queensland, make sure to check out my guide to pet monkeys in Australia here.
In the United States
As for the united states, you can get a pet monkey in some states legally and without a permit even, while other states require a license, but in the majority of states, it’s illegal to have a pet monkey.
Here are the states where it’s legal to have a pet monkey:
- Alabama – legal to own with a permit from county/city government
- Arkansas – legal to own if the animal was obtained before January 1994 and registered with local authorities
- Florida – legal to own with registration with county/city government
- Indiana – legal to own if you can prove that your state or country allows it and can provide proof of rabies vaccination
- Mississippi – legal to own as long as the animal is registered, has a health certificate, etc.
- Nebraska – requires license from Department of Agriculture
- Nevada – legal to own as long as your state or country allows it and can provide proof of rabies vaccination
- North Carolina – requires registration with county/city government
- North Dakota – can have a pet monkey if from an accredited school for training, scientific institution, etc. but must be accompanied by someone who has experience in keeping primates
- Ohio – can have a pet monkey if from an accredited school for training, scientific institution, etc. but must be accompanied by someone who has experience in keeping primates
- Tennessee – legal to own as long as your state or country allows it and can provide proof of rabies vaccination
- Texas – legal to own with registration with county/city government
- West Virginia – can have a pet monkey if from an accredited school for training, scientific institution, etc. but must be accompanied by someone who has experience in keeping primates States where it is illegal to keep one as a pet:
- New York – can only own with a permit and special licenses; fines may also apply
But private ownership of monkeys is completely banned in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New York
- New Mexico
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
As this article is focused primarily on the US, let’s explore now where you can get a pet monkey in the US.
Where can you get a pet monkey in the US?
Here are a few websites where you can discover a monkey near your home (other than Craig’s list, of course):
- Pets4You – There are frequent postings on this site for monkey and primate breeders, so you can locate one who lives near you. You’ll also notice classified ads with pictures of the monkeys they’re selling.
- Poggi’s Animal House – The site sells capuchin and marmoset monkeys. They also sell cages and provide information on their website about how to care for the monkeys.
- Primate Store – You can find listings for monkeys on this that include pictures, prices, contact information, and more. In the sidebar, you’ll discover details on their diet and housing. You’ll also find a shopping area with food, toy, and other item suggestions for your monkey.
- Wisdomemonkeyshome: This is a small, family-owned primate breeder that has received US Fish and Wildlife’s approval. They raise Capuchin, Squirrel, and Marmoset monkeys, some of the world’s tiniest primates weighing less than a pound when they are grown. The New World Monkey comes from Brazil and Columbia’s Atlantic Coastal Forest.
- Comfort Exotics: Comfort Exotics is a USDA-licensed family-owned and operated ethical breeding farm that provides the best quality husbandry and care to our cats while sharing their enthusiasm for exotics through education and species conservation.
Beware that buying a monkey is not easy. You really need to know what you are looking for and how to find the right monkey for you. You should start your learning journey by figuring out which monkey breed will make the best pet for you.
If buying is not for you, and it probably isn’t for most people reading this, then you can consider adopting. Caring for a monkey is not easy, after all, and pet monkeys can even be dangerous.
So, you may want to have someone else care for the monkey instead, let’s now discuss this option.
Can you adopt a pet monkey?
You can adopt a pet monkey but you will not get to take the monkey home. Several Animal sanctuaries, shelters, and rescue groups allow you to adopt a monkey where you can pay monthly for the monkey’s care and instead get some gifts, photos, and other privileges like visits.
Adopting a monkey resembles donations more than it resembles adopting a dog or a cat.
Where to adopt a pet monkey?
Here are some places where you can adopt a pet monkey:
- bornfreeusa: You will receive a monkey adoption package that includes a photograph of the one you are sponsoring, as well as information about him or her and your new plush toy! These adoptions make excellent presents as well!
- Wildfutures: You Will Receive: A fluffy monkey toy (optional), A customized certificate of adoption, a photo of your adopted monkey, Your monkey’s tale, Species factsheet, ‘Wild Futures’ bi-annual newsletters, and a discount on our Monkey Sanctuary
- Adoptanimalkits: Their Adopt A Monkey Kit costs $39 and comes in a Deluxe Folder and includes: Glossy Photo Of Your Adopted Monkey, Adopt A Monkey Adoption Certificate Fact Sheet About Your Adopted Monkey, Help Animals Info Cards Packed With Information On Animal Issues & How You can Help Animals And The Environment
Conclusion on getting a pet monkey
For those of you who are considering a pet monkey, it is important to give careful consideration as to where and how the monkey will be cared for. If buying or adopting seems out of your reach financially or logistically then consider donating funds instead.
Monkeys are not appropriate pets for most people. If you live in an apartment, do not have the time to care for a monkey properly or if you don’t want to make a long-term commitment, then please consider other options – there are plenty of homeless dogs and cats who need your help!
Can you buy a monkey at Walmart?
No, you cannot buy a monkey at Walmart. There are no monkeys sold by Walmart anywhere in the country.
Where can I get a free pet monkey?
You can’t get a free monkey unless given to you by someone directly. There are no places that give free monkeys. You must buy or adopt a monkey.
If you like this article, please share it!